Tips for Using YouTube for eBook Marketing as an Indie Author
- Create your own videos. Whether your eBook is fiction or non-fiction, you can use YouTube to reach a larger audience. Create videos that introduce you to your readers or provide additional background or information.
- Make the videos short. Videos on YouTube that have the highest views are between 3-5 minutes long.
- Don’t sell your eBook in the video. No one will watch a five minute ad. Give them something valuable, useful, or interesting in the video, then add a call to action at the end to click over to the eBook purchase.
- Be authentic. Don’t try to be something you’re not on YouTube. Talk directly to your intended audience. If you’re goofy, be goofy; if you have insightful information that people will find interesting, share it.
- Brand yourself. Take the time to create a channel on YouTube and add all of the detail you are able about yourself as an author, your eBooks, links to your website and blog, etc.
Ideas for Using YouTube for eBook Marketing as a Publisher
- Create an author series in which you highlight the different authors you represent. Conduct interviews with the authors, do Q&As, and present author profiles.
- Have a ‘news of the week’ section on your channel where you talk about industry news.
- Use YouTube to announce new publications, new releases, and newly signed authors.
Both indie authors and publishers can cross-promote by sharing published videos on a blog or website and on social media. Learn more with our social media guide.